Friday, October 19, 2012

Vintage Funk Laundry Room

Taaadaa!  It's finished...thanks to my sweetheart of a husband...and with the credit at Lowe's for the paint and all the free and thrifted and reused stuff...it came in at around $50 for the remodel!  Now the room I spend the most time in is my happy place.  I just keep going in there and turning the light on.  This is how it looked before:

It had the "UGS" before.  We've lived her 14 years and this paint is tired.

Where did this drab color even come from?  I used "leftover" paint and I'm not sure where I would have put this pasty color.



Hubby rescued me (again).  I was going to paint this room. 
"So?"  you say.
Huhummm....I can't paint to save my life.  Oh, if you ask me to paint in the artsy way...no problem.   No lines to stay in, no rules...I love it.  Give me boundaries, and I will cross (or in this case drip) on them.  So as I was covered in drips and the wall was looking scary, my husband swooped in and took over. He wasn't to excited about it at first (he's done A LOT of painting and it's not his favorite thing), but then he changed his tune.  As he started, I got the idea to take off one of the storage cupboard's doors and use it to spice things up.  Enough talk...here it is :)

OK, you can see we ran out of blue paint...so hubby has to finish, but I couldn't wait any longer!

There's the free Pie Cupboard that was once covered in goo.


Yes, you can have Pyrex in the Laundry Room!  Most of these pieces were in the $1-$4 range at yard sales and thrifts. 

Got the cake carrier at Goodwill for $6 and while there found stuff to sell to antique dealers and so...it was free.  Plate $1

This is how it all started.  A .25 cent Vintage pillow case was my inspiration.  I used it to cover some scratches on the top of the FREE pie cupboard I got at a Yard Sale.

Thrifted frame .50cents with ad from a 1958 magazine.  Forget Me Not tin sign thrifted $4.  Forget Me Not's are my favorite and are part of this room!
 
Thrifted camp coffee pot (that we use) $2, cow creamer's .50 each

All from yard sales .25 cents, .50 cents and $1

The tin my Mom bought me works great in here, and the Craig's list bowl.

Thrifted blue frames $1 each, Forget Me Not vintage postcards, $1 each

Yard Sale board $1, thrifted frame $1 and another old magazine ad for Clorox

 
 
Enlargement of a photo of a Pyrex ad $1.49 and the sign I got at Reruns in Portland for $3
 
This collection is hanging at the end of the drying rack as you walk in.  All thrifted except my cute little Grandma made the towel!
 
Thrifted tin sign
 
Ahhh...the ironing doesn't look so intimidating backed by bright yellow!
 

I bought pieces of scrap booking paper .79 cent each to line the back of the cabinet. 

I added these cute Forget Me Not stickers to jazz it up


I love this ad for the 1958 Chevy.  Look at the car colors!  Thrifted the magazines for $.29 each with all the ads, and re purposed the frame that was once wood color.

 
 
Thanks for sharing in my Happy Place :)

6 comments:

Pyrex Junkie said...

This is so AMAZING! I love it, and although I live in my apt upstairs in my grandmother's house I do not have a laundry room but for the future this is what I will do too! You inspired me! I might have to re-do my bathroom and put a little some of this in it! Thanks for sharing!

Old Fashioned Gal said...

You did a superb job! I love everything in your "new" laundry room! You've inspired me to get my butt in my laundry room and spruce it up! Mine is yellow too :)
-Denise

Mamaw's Place said...

I love it! I wish I had a nice laundry room, but mine is simply an override hallway off the kitchen leading to the back door with an inset for the washer/dryer. I could incorporate some of your wall ideas those. It bears thinking about.

ThrifterSisters said...

I had my husband build a shelf in my laundry room to install above my washer and dryer. He painted it turquoise and the wall brackets yellow. It now holds 3 full sets of refrigerator dishes and two full mixing bowl sets. I will take a picture and share it sometime. Glad to hear that I am not the only one with Pyrex in the laundry room!

Stacey Johnson said...

Thanks, guys. Glad it inspired you! Thrifter Sisters...would love to see that Pyrex-packed laundry room!

fiveintow said...

Coveting...coveting...coveting...