Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gluten Free Food Storage in Vintage Containers

If you've been around this blog at all you know that 
1) I'm a gluten free foodie (Check out "It's All Good without Gluten!" - available on Amazon or ask your favorite bookstore to get it in...it's available to all)
2) I am an avid Vintage collector with Old Fashioned Values - (Thus the cooking!)

Here is a way I've combined the two.  Cooking gluten free requires multiple flours, xanthan gum, and starches.  It can be very overwhelming if you kitchen is unorganized.  I have found using vintage storage containers the best way to keep my ingredients stored efficiently.  My favorites are the Pyrex glass containers.  I have the "Spice of Life" pattern.  I also use Tupperware canisters and I found adorable Hildi (artist from the 70's) containers at a local thrift store!

I have a two-teared lazy Susan.  The top has brown rice flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, corn meal, and my GF flour mix (1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup tapioca flour, 2/3 cup potato starch).  On the bottom tier are the basics, and I've put xanthan gum and sea salt in mini Pyrex containers for convenience.

How do you find these vintage containers?  Thrifting!  (My favorite sport).  They pop up quite often at thrift stores and run anywhere from $1-$5.  Very affordable.  Garage sales are a great way to find them as well.  Make sure when using the glass jars that the rubber seal inside the lid is intact, other wise ingredients won't be fresh!  Happy Hunting!!

PS If you are NOT into thrifting you can purchase them on Etsy or Ebay, but you will pay more!

Looks like I need to buy Tapioca Flour! :)










No comments: